Most if not all entrepreneurs make mistakes on their path to online business success. A difference of attitude is what separates a successful online entrepreneur and one who fails. A successful entrepreneur turns his mistakes into stepping stones that help him get where he wants to go. The other turns his mistakes into stumbling blocks that prevent him from getting anywhere at all. One entrepreneur reacts to mistakes with frustration and defeat, and the other responds with a desire to learn, improve, and move on.
How should you handle it when you make a mistake with your online business? Here is a 5-step approach:
1. Recognize that you have made a mistake, but do not brand yourself as a failure. You probably know all about mistakes as an internet entrepreneur. They are very easy to make! This is especially true if you started your online business as a complete newbie. There are some people who give up after making just one or two mistakes. Do not be one of them!
2. Consider your mistake as an opportunity to learn from it. As soon as you can admit your mistake without letting it get the best of you, you will be able to learn and benefit from it.
3. Study where you went wrong. What was the nature of the mistake? Was your mistake due to your carelessness, lack of research, or was the trouble caused by something beyond your control?
4. Figure out a solution to your problem, or start again from scratch. What can you do to fix the mistake or prevent it from happening again?
5. Teach others how to avoid the mistake. Once you get it right, use the experience as part of your team training. This will strengthen your impact as a trainer and strengthen your team. Use the lessons you learn from your mistakes as material for e-books, videos, lectures and courses, and build up a following among other online entrepreneurs.
The key to handling mistakes is to adopt the attitude of “live and learn.” Maintain a positive attitude through the inevitable setbacks and remember what Napoleon Hill wrote:
“Every failure brings with it the seed of an equivalent advantage.”
If you can learn from your internet marketing business mistakes and keenly seek out the “equivalent advantage,” you will find that your online business will continue to move forward and grow stronger.
So, adopt a positive attitude towards your mistakes when they inevitably occur. Do not make excuses or seek to avoid responsibility. Step up to the plate and find out what you can learn from whatever business mistake it is that has been made and seek out the “equivalent advantage” that the business mistake brings with it.